Monday, November 5, 2007

Shadows in the Parking Lot-Exchanging Movements

I'm just going to throw it out there-I am not a fan of Performance Art. I've seen it and knew someone who did it seriously as part of there career and I'm still really not a fan. The Kaprow activity, to me, was nothing more then just amusing. It brought me back to third grade when the popular game on the playground was Shadow Tag. The activity was a lot more physical then I expected it to be. I spent most of my time trying to step on Pavalos's shadow or trick him from stepping on mine. Because of that there was no meaning or emotion behind what I was doing...it had no purpose. After the first 3 minutes the game..er.. 'performance' I found it became very boring and repetitive. I find that some of the best art is made when the artist is moved by something specific and then attempts to convey what moved them or the feeling from it . This activity lacked that direction, I had nothing to try and convey through my shadow therefore giving my performance no meaning or substance. Ultimately I just felt silly. If I had to describe this activity (and performance art for the most part) in one word it would be: superfluous.

No comments: